Photography task: Self Portrait
Location: My bedroom, Estonia
Camera setting: Portrait
Let the Challenge begin!
Self portraits remind me of school photos, ah how exciting those days were at school! And what a disappointment it always was to receive the final results… This iPhone generation will never know the suffering. We didn’t have the possibility of taking 254 practice shots of our faces before the moment. Also, there was no photoshop involved.
I went to a smaller school in the countryside so wearing make-up at that sensitive age when acne came to torment 50% of us students was not popular. The scars and pockmarks were a constant point of cursing when the school photos eventually arrived.
For the first task on the 30-day challenge list I went for a school photo-esque option: sit tight and look at the camera. But instead of applying extra make-up before the shoot, as I would’ve done in school, I wen’t for a natural look. This challenge is about getting to the bottom of who I am as well as developing my photography skills so let’s start literally with a clean slate.
Let’s start with a positive twang, so to go with the self-portrait(s) here’s a list of 10 things that I particularly love about life:
- I love my family, not just mum, dad and my brother, but the extended family including cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents.
- I love my boyfriend. Very very much! ♥
- I love my friends. As I wrote in a post couple weeks back, my friends are the salt, pepper and chili of my life.
- I love Sunshine. Seems so obvious but in my case it’s a tad more significant because the amount of Sun I get per day is in direct correlation with how well I am both mentally and physically.
- I love being a woman. And I’ve lived abroad enough to never take that for granted.
- I love food. And true love lasts a lifetime!
- I love freedom. With ‘freedom’ I refer to the fact that my gender, age or nationality doesn’t pose any hindrance to me in regards to what I want to do with my life. If I want to travel, I travel; if I want to study to become a pilot, I will study to become a pilot; if I don’t want to have children, I don’t have children, etc. etc. etc.
- I love writing. It’s a way of expression in which I have been gifted from a very, very young age and which brings me joy and constant light-bulb-moments.
- I love dancing. It was a dream of mine once to become a professional dancer but in the end it wasn’t a viable option. That doesn’t mean, though, that I would’ve stopped, oh no! I dance every day in the kitchen, around the bedroom, and especially while I’m cleaning.
- I love the fact that I’m old and mature enough to be able to shake off all the negative naysayers and people who simply are not worth my time and energy. #positivevibes
And BONUS: I love being healthy and relatively wealthy right now, right here, despite all the basic everyday challenges. I’m aware that I am one of the luckiest people on the planet and for that reason I will strive to be the best version of myself every day :)